Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Geddy Behind Home Plate

The laundry basket and a glass of beer are in front of me. This is my Saturday routine. I’ve tossed the phone bill off the couch to the coffee table and the Blue Jays home opener is on the tv. There, Geddy Lee sits in the stands behind home plate, three rows up from ground level, a face in the crowd but prominent to me with his long bum-parted hair, schnozz and John Lennon sunglasses. I marvel at the fact that, rather than feeding the thousands, he’s one of the multitude, completely out of context.

I abandon watching the game, in audience of his audience within an audience.

Here is my rock god, watching a baseball game, eyeing the box for strikes and balls, talking to his neighbour, jolting to an incoming foul ball that really only sails harmlessly into a safety net. He eats a hot dog, his jaw chewing in great movements. With uncontrollable glee, I laugh when he eats an ice cream cone, dabbing his lips after each bite. He likes to sit with his left arm crossed over his lap while his right hand; his road weary, calloused hand, holds his chin and the side of his face. I phone my brother to tell him where Geddy is right now, live on television in real time. My brother isn’t interested. He hates baseball.

I wait for the producer to give the television audience a close up of Geddy, but it doesn’t happen. Even though he’s in plain view; an icon in their midsts, he remains just another face in the crowd. I want an in-stand interview. I want to hear his soft nasal tone predicting the prospect of the new season, just to solidify his context, justify his place in this crowd of baseball fans. It never comes. The entire game passes like most Blue Jays games do; uneventfully. Three hours later when the last strike is thrown, Geddy picks up his jacket, slides it over his shoulders and moves with the crowd for the exit. I don’t know who’s won or by what margin. As the end credits roll across the tv screen, I’m left with nothing to do but fold my cold, wrinkled laundry.
I know there’s another load waiting downstairs for me too. The day is late now and there’s supper to be made. I don’t want to do any more folding. So much time has passed me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment